Monday, November 13, 2017

Family, Friends and Other Stuff

Wow!  Seems like I am making a habit out of waiting a long time before I post new entries!  I'm not a natural writer so I put it off until I feel I absolutely have to.  I'll briefly catch you up with the happenings and I promise I'll try to be better about more timely entries.

This summer (we call it August break since it is perpetually summer) my baby sister got MARRIED!!!  And I came home for the first time in 1 1/2 years.  The journey started out without a hitch; I caught the bus to the airport (after I caught some rando looking at my luggage tag and exclaiming he wanted to see my New York address [because all American's live in New York], then proceeded to tell me he was police and had to inspect my bag when I yelled at him for touching my personal belongings), boarded the plane to Trinidad and Tobago, went through immigration and security, and then boarded my flight to Ft. Lauderdale!  Holy crow!  I was so excited I could barely stand it!  I literally had to talk myself out of becoming a ball of anxiety just to make it in one piece!  And then it happened.  I was in the US (granted not home, but in the US).  The first thing I noticed/remember after getting off the plane and through immigration was all the smells!  It didn't smell like Guyana.  It was familiar.  The smell of freshly baked pretzels from Auntie Anne's; french fries from the bar in front of me.  I was so overwhelmed with people and smells I just stood there and soaked it all in.  I couldn't stop smiling.  I'm sure people thought there was something wrong with me.  Only one more flight and I would be home with my family.  After I found my gate, I had some time to kill so I bellied up to the bar and ordered a drink.  What drink you ask?  A Pinot Grigio of course!  In response to the bartender's question of the big one or the small one, I proudly said, "Give me the big one."  That got a couple of chuckles.  As I sat there, I looked around still not believing I was there.  I overheard conversations people were having about who knows what and even took part in a few convo's myself with my surrounding neighbors.  It was nice to have a normal conversation with someone and it not become creepy or end up with me getting hit on.  As the day went on, I was receiving notification of my flight being delayed.  It eventually came through the flight was cancelled, so I, along with a very nice couple I met, settled down by baggage claim to sleep until the morning when we were to take the first flight out.  I will have to say that I drank way more wine that I anticipated therefor when I fell asleep, I fell hard (this was also after a couple of facetimes with very patient friends and family).  I even almost missed my flight!  Uff Da!  But alas, I made it. And with my first Starbucks in a year and a half my new friends bought me, I re-checked my bag, got through security and was on my way to Nashville; after a short layover somewhere I can't remember mind you.

The three phases of my travel home...


Phase 1: Guyana airport with coffee


Phase 2:  On the plane


Phase 3: Big Wine


Hellllloooooo Nashville!  It was miraculous!  I made it!  I was hungover and tired, but I was there!!!  My parents were waiting anxiously for me in the waiting area before heading to baggage claim.  Things are already looking different.  The airport has had some upgrades and the parking lot and surrounding driving lanes have changed up.  Next was pick up Liz and go to lunch!  First meal...Panera.  And I drank the free water from the tap!!!!!!  I mean...WATER FROM THE TAP!!! It's really the little things...

From then on it was a whirlwind.  There was a house show at my beautiful friend's house, Cathy.  There were drinks with other friends, there was a bridal shower and bachelorette party, more drinks with friends and doctor's appointments.  Then family started to come in from all over for the wedding.  Midnight ride to the airport with a sister and BFF, Shelley, to pick up a cousin (I see you Carly), more family, and an automatic kitchen faucet that kept being turned on accidentally by our flailing arms.  More family and then the big day.  It was beautiful and calm and everything was perfect.  Guys, when I tell you how beautiful my sister looked, believe me, those words don't even do it justice.   The ceremony was fantastic and the reception was full of laughter and dancing.  My speech, I thought, went very well even though there were some people who were not so fortunate as to know my family very well and wondered it I was just a mean person (Shut up Liz!) (Sorry Mom).


Right before walking down the aisle!


Husband and Wife!


Cleaning lipstick off my teeth!


New family photo


My speech...


...was funny


Sarah caught the bouquet and I laughed at her!



Laura and I post wedding


Carly, Laura, and I post reception

The next week was a little more relaxing.  More time with friends, catching up with former students, another doctor's appointment and then a trip up to Wisconsin!  It was Mile of Music week in Appleton and a family keg party!  Who can resist!  We stopped first in Milwaukee to see Aunt Amy and attend a Brewer's game (we won).  Then it was off to dinner with Uncle Mel and Linda.  It was so good seeing everyone and even better that I was eating Carrabba's!  Gosh I love that place.  It was then off to Appleton to see the rest of the gang.  There was a lot of food, drinking, and partying out on the town.  I even got to meet up with 2 RPCV's who lived in the area.  It is such a different world that we live in here, it's nice to talk with people who understand and know what it is all about.  



My Centennial High School Front Ensemble


When band mom's think you need to eat more food and you explain how much you love pretzels...


McMurray Fam


Brewer's Game!



Greg and Dad at Mile of Music


Ann and Mom at Mile of Music


Sarah and I at Mile of Music
Dad's fabulous photobomb


I crashed Ben's bachelor party in Nashville and these were some of the people there! 


Duke at a drum circle


Snap of Ben and I playing around.  Sarah and Luke are intense in the background.


RPCV's Mitchell and Lori made it out!!!

While in Wisconsin, I found out I was being placed on medical hold for my back and ended up staying in America for 4 more weeks!  During that time I was in physical therapy three days a week, caught up with more friends, went to another wedding, saw the total eclipse (we were in the path of totality), and gained weight due to eating all of the things I cannot here!  It was a magical time and I am glad I was able to prolong it but whew, I was ready to go back.  After 6 weeks, I left Tennessee to head back to Guyana to finish my last 6 months before COS (close of service).



My back taped up


Looking at the eclipse!


Liz and I


Total Eclipse (of the heart)


Jack and I


Shelley, Jack and Emma.  Miss these guys!


My girlfriend's are better than yours...
Thanks Kate Cauthen for the photos!


Cheers!



As I sit here listening to the rain and drinking tea (yes, I said tea) I realized that I am so lucky to amazing family and friends who are always there cheering you on.  I also realize I had a lot more to say about my trip home than anticipated.  I was going to fill you guys in on all the other comings and goings of my time here so far, but I guess I'll put all of that in another post.  I don't know about you, but I don't really like reading things off the computer screen, especially if it is very long, so I'll stop now and leave you wanting more...


Tanya's wedding with Shallen and Mary Helen


You can take the girl out of Guyana, but not Guyana (and the beer cape) out of the girl...


Beautiful baby girl!  Not mine...Taylor and T'Anna's.


Kate, Cathy, and I at Live on the Green


Got my hair did!  Thanks Jessami!  And yes, it's purple


My friend Kaitlin playing keys!  Loved all the music I got to see while I was home!


Mom and I at the Titan's game.  The Bear's still suck!


Tanya and I eating Mexican food (seriously...would you think any different?)


Haley, Jessica, Cathy, Me, Kate, and Elise...Fabulous group of strong and independent women!





1 comment: