Friday, February 12, 2016

Training Time!!


February 3rd-6th

As I stated before, we are here!  When we arrived at the airport, we were whisked away to a hotel about an hour away.  We loaded up into two vans and as I crawled in the back seat (the only seat left), I realized the seats on the aisle had another seat attached that you had to lower down like the desk tables in middle school!  I WAS TRAPPED AND HOT AND FREAKING OUT!  I just tried to breath and have conversations with my bench mates and as we started driving the wind made it cooler.  It was actually a pretty pleasant ride even though it was so dark we couldn’t see anything. 

At the hotel, we were assigned new roommates.  I was assigned to room with Chantelle which was awesome!  She is so funny and energetic and positive!  I seriously don’t know of one person that could ever dislike her.  After our assignments, we signed the papers for the room and went to grab a snack the hotel staff had for us.  I was famished (seriously…there was a lack of vegetarian food on the plane) so I was really excited about getting to eat.  We were served fruit and cheese straws…I love cheese straws!  A waiter tried to take my last one as he was clearing but I was able to take it off the plate before he could dispose of it.  As he looked at me with a confused expression, I explained I absolutely LOVE cheese straws!!  A minute later, without me even asking, he came back out with another plate of cheese straws for me.  How nice!!!  I was blown away!!  It was late and we had an early morning, so we went to our rooms to get some sleep!

The next morning our training began.  To say we were all exhausted would be an understatement and the exhaustion wouldn’t go away until Sunday when we would have our first opportunity to sleep in.  More on that later though.  I took my last hot shower that I will have for 27 months before our first training session in Guyana began.  We had initial training on security, money (we got paid!!), and Guyana overall.  We met our trainers and some PC Guyana staff members.  After lunch, we loaded up the buses (yes, those tiny metal death traps) and were on our way to Lake Mainstay Resort where we spent 4 days training.  To get there, we had to take the buses to Parika, get on a ferry (1 ½ hour ride), then drive another 45 minutes to Mainstay which is a beautiful resort on the coast.  The little cottages we were assigned to had 2 bedrooms, an ac unit, and living area with a refrigerator, and a bathroom with running water (rain water so it was cool but water none the less.)

After dinner we all retired to our rooms and Chantelle and I began our debriefing sessions in the dark with our headlamps before we crawled into our bug net covered beds.  This was my first time sleeping with a net and for some reason I was really nervous.  Maybe it was because the owner of the resort told us to keep the lights out and windows closed at night so bugs won’t get in as well as sand flies which can bite you even though you are under the net (hence the headlamp debriefings).  Scary!  He also warned us about the Jaguar that just casually roams around the island and told us not to worry about it.  WHAT???!!!  A Jaguar!!!!  Wow…
The next few days were filled with breakfast, training, lunch, training, dinner, then beers while downloading movies from other volunteers.  There were also snacks during training and a plethora of fresh juices.  One of the days we had to take a water test in the lake.  Because of mineral deposits, this lake was black…yes, you read that right.  On top of that (those of you who know me) know my hesitant nature of getting into open water!  We had three tests…swimming, floating with a life jacket, and canoeing.  My friend Molly was a doll and held my hand while we went into the water since I was having a mild freakout…I mean the water is black!!!!  Once we got to the marker though, everyone went swimming and I was left to fend for myself.  I eventually reached the shore and promptly got the hell out of the water!  Molly was also my canoeing partner which was awesome since she used to be on a rowing team, then floating was fine except for having to get back into the water and touch the pagas (what they Guyanese call the slimy stuff on the bottom of the lake).  Needless to say…I earned my dinner that night!!!

Our last day was spent touring around our training site (Region 2) and seeing where we will be holding our trainings (Affiance at the Bacchus library) and living (I’m in Suddie).  That night, we had our dinner outside on the beach with a bonfire and the residents of Mainstay (the Ameridians) came to share their culture with us.  Children danced and sang and the Toushau (the village leader) and his wife sang as well.  It was a good last night and a great way to end our training away from the public.  Tomorrow, we meet the host families we will be living with for the next 10 weeks!!!!!




Waiting for the ferry in Parika


The view from the side of the ferry.  These are speed boats.


Me!!!


Our home for three days!


The beach at Lake Mainstay Resort.  So peaceful in the morning.


First beer in Guyana...yum.


The following pictures were taken on our tour of the training site.


A jaguar a business owner caught


Chelsea (a quarter of her face), Allycia, Steven, Amber and I taking a selfie on the seawall with the Atlantic Ocean behind us


First monkey sighting on Capoey!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment